Texas Bluebonnet Writing Project Blog

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Did you know?

Don’t you hate it when there is so much you want to say, but there just isn’t enough time to cover it all? I mean, we live in a world where you either get to the point or you just get left.

I was fortunate enough today to have my Bloglines account notify me of a new David Warlick post titled “Is This Staff Development?” It referenced a post on another blog titled “Did You Know?” It is a post on a professional development blog called Fischbowl that is maintained for a high school in Colorado whose main author is Karl Fisch.

So here is what I am getting at. I used all of this great technology to be willfully (and very simply) directed through the virtual world to a short PowerPoint that does what I have wanted to do for some time. It succinctly points out the importance of the education system to be prepared for the coming shift. Shift in what? Well, just download Karl’s PowerPoint file and music to find out.

Let the conversation begin.

PS - Is that a record for number of links in one post on this site?

6 Comments:

  • At 8/17/2006 3:18 PM, Blogger Katherine said…

    I'll respond after I finish my 12 hour a day week this week! This is one of the times of year I question my sanity. kat

     
  • At 8/18/2006 3:43 AM, Blogger Developer said…

    Mr. Floyd,

    This all comes out of an ongoing conversation about "The New Story," a desire to tell a new story about education, the classroom, and the needs of children who will inherit a future that we can not clearly describe. So much of what drives teaching, learning, and how classrooms work, comes from stories about education that date decades and even centuries back. How do we promote an education system that is free to adapt and restructure itself, when everyone has had 12 or more years in 20th century schools?

    We have to tell a compelling new story that is so exciting that it shatters the old stories and makes people want to say, that's the kind of classroom I want my children to attend.

    Thanks for passing Karl's amazing presentation along.

    -- dave --

     
  • At 8/18/2006 11:49 AM, Blogger Scott S. Floyd said…

    I have to agree with you, David. I have followed your posts on the New Story as well as the podcasts by others about it. We are headed in the right direction, but what Karl's ppt proves is that our decision makers are not listening. It is easy to sit in a capitol office and think one is king of the world. They need to step out in to the real world and see just what their decisions are doing to the future of our students. While we fight the frontline battles and can affect positive change, we could be doing so much more. It is our chance to step out and show the true possibilities of what our students are capable of if we just give the access to the resources.

    Scott

     
  • At 8/22/2006 4:21 AM, Blogger Katherine said…

    I like the direction of this conversation. I'm ready to be part of the "wake up" committee!

     
  • At 8/22/2006 7:50 PM, Blogger Karl Fisch said…

    I think I may have to create a "wake up" committee at my school as well. Everybody would be required to bring in a "new story" every couple of weeks to share with the committee, which we would then share the collection with the community.

    I also wanted to let you know that I posted a slightly updated version of the presentation on The Fischbowl, as well as a list of my sources.

     
  • At 8/24/2006 12:49 PM, Blogger Scott S. Floyd said…

    Thanks, Karl. I wished there was some type of magic wand to wake up the masses. Your presentation is a good start, but I have to convince my administration that it is time well spent. It is difficult having an administration in a holding pattern. My IT guy, on the other hand, helps me keep pushing. We have to keep a positive outlook and, as Katherine said, break out the wake-up committee. A new story each week is a wonderful idea. Have them post to your blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home