Texas Bluebonnet Writing Project Blog

Monday, September 18, 2006

Five minutes of reading... a lifetime of action.

I wanted to reply to Dr. Hirtle's comment in another post, and the comment section will not let me use all of my embedded links. So I am going to just reply here because the links just might be of interest to you.

"Five minutes of reading might just translate into a life time of action on this topic!"

That is exactly how it started for me. I had been reading edtech magazines off and on for years. Then I went to the TCEA convention in Austin, and I was hooked. At the convention I was upset because I could not make every session that interested me. Then someone told me that there were folks blogging the event and even posting some podcasts of sessions. I happened upon Wesley Fryer's blog and the rest is history. He linked up to everyone else for me.
Dr. Bernie Dodge, Gary Stager, Miguel Guhlin, David Warlick, and on and on. These folks got me hooked after just a short time.

It started as me just trying to read about what I missed in a few sessions, and it ended up with me reading about what I had missed in years of education (thank goodness the Hyatt had high speed Internet). I am not going to cheat my students and let any opportunity to learn more slip by.

2 Comments:

  • At 9/20/2006 7:42 PM, Blogger Janelle said…

    Scott, you're that guy for me...you have so much to share, and you present the info in such digestible nuggets.

    Thanks for being our link to EdTech.

     
  • At 9/21/2006 11:32 AM, Blogger Scott S. Floyd said…

    Aw, shucks. Thanks. I hope to be that guy for many people. Not because it gives me any glory, but because I hope it changes how they think and teach in their classrooms. Our kids can do so much more if we just let them.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home