Texas Bluebonnet Writing Project Blog

Thursday, August 31, 2006

I need a Mac and fries, please!

Not that anyone cares about my technology woes, but.....
My laptop never recovered. After a short period of mourning the loss of a dear friend (got me through graduate school including a hectic five weeks of BWP), I decided I needed to move on with my life. I mean, HP (that’s what I called it) meant so much to me and I feel like I am cheating on it, but it's time. If HP really cared for me it would have never dumped on me the first time.

I felt abandoned and just took the plunge. I decided to try something other than the standard PC. I know. I know. People are going to stare when they see us together, but I don't care. I'm confident enough in myself to work through it. I have already felt the tinges of discrimination from my IT guys. They don't understand.

So, yes, I have ordered an Apple. I have to admit, Mac has let me down so far. It (two actually; yes, twins) should have been shipped weeks ago. When I checked for an arrival update I was told another week minimum. I understand my misgivings of this new relationship, but who would have guessed Mac would be shy like this. It either wants the relationship to work or it doesn’t. Why can’t it be just straight up with me?

Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts as I work through this major event in my life. I know that sooner or later we will be a match made in laptop heaven. I just wish it would be sooner. So until September 8th (plus three days international air shipping time), I will just contemplate our future time together (and by contemplate I mean sit here screaming about how far behind I am getting and how Mac better work hard when it arrives or else).

6 Comments:

  • At 8/31/2006 4:51 PM, Blogger Jeannine Hirtle said…

    Chuckle! I know how you feel.
    When I bought my desktop for home, I wanted to hit the ground running. I hit harder than I thought and I wasn't running! So, finally against all my best judgment, I printed the help manua and started reading it. I thought I was tech savvy enough to intuit my way through without the manual. Well there are just enough little odd differences to add a few gray hairs to my head and make me struggle not to shout colorful language at the computer.

    My advice to you. Download the manual now from apple.com, and get it all organized in a notebook and read what you think you will need to hit the ground running. It will be time well spent.

     
  • At 8/31/2006 5:06 PM, Blogger Kinderbeanie :) said…

    I am still laughing! You are too funn. What are your plans in case of another "break-up"?-- this time with the the apple???

    Joyce :)

     
  • At 8/31/2006 5:06 PM, Blogger Kinderbeanie :) said…

    How about FUNNY...long day, sorry!

     
  • At 8/31/2006 7:27 PM, Blogger Scott S. Floyd said…

    I have been called funn before (that's a little more than just fun), bu tnot by my wife. She just thinks I'm odd.

    I will take your advice, Jeannine. I will do that tomorrow first thing. I have been looking at the new Leopard OS coming out in the spring. While it looks just fantastic, I need to figure out Tiger first. Baby steps.

    As for future plans in case of another breakup, I will steal one of my dad's laptops from Verizon (oops, don't tell them I said that). His looks like a metal briefcase that has built-in cellular wireless Internet from anywhere, all kinds of protection if it gets dropped, fingerprint ID (okay, I just like that because it's cool), and more (which I cannot tell you without killing you afterward). Only problem is, the cost is around $5000 each. Stealing would be my only option, but then again they track the laptops via the built-in GPS system 24/7. It would be like living in the Left Behind series always on the run.

     
  • At 9/06/2006 3:26 PM, Blogger Janelle said…

    Think about it this way, the extra delivery time will almost be as long as it would take to gt your PC updated and loaded with all your needed programs.

    HA_HA!!

    By the way, Smurftech, people stare because they are in awe of your incredible machine. Trust me, you get used to it. Hee-hee!

    Look, if you're gonna go Mac, you just need to give uo the PC cold turkey for a little while.

    Just let me know if you need any help.

    Grasshopper

     
  • At 9/06/2006 8:42 PM, Blogger Scott S. Floyd said…

    So that's why they stare? Well, okay then. I can blame it on Apple envy. Sweet. Chicks dig the Apple (on the other hand, my wife is not impressed).

    As for going cold turkey ... not going to happen. Not in my ISD. Besides, think of how useful I am going to be trying to help the PC folks get their machines working correctly. I should have extra time on my hands now from not having to work on my own. Right?

    PS - Tomorrow (9/7) is the latest deadline for shipping Mac out. It better ship. I need to get back in the game. You people have no idea the things I have found in my newly acquired spare time to add to our village. It could be dangerous.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home