Texas Bluebonnet Writing Project Blog

Monday, November 13, 2006

A Change in Thought ... Missing a Change in Action

I know, I know. Even now you are thinking, “but Dad, wouldn’t just going to college be easier?” It might, yes. And depending on what you end up wanting to do, college might still be the best answer. But it might not. And I want to remind you that in my own experience, all of the “learning” I did in all of the college classrooms I’ve spent time in does not come close to the learning that I’ve done on my own for the simple reason that now I am learning with people who are just as (if not more) passionate to “know” as I am. And that is what I want for you, to connect to people and environments where your passions connect, and the expectation is that you learn together, not learn on your own. Where you are free to create your own curriculum, find your own teachers, and create your own assessments as they are relevant. Where you make decisions (and your teachers guide you in those decisions) as to what is relevant to know and what isn’t instead of someone deciding that for you. Where at the end of the day, you’ll look back and find that the vast majority of your effort has been time well spent, not time wasted.

Weblogg-ed » Dear Kids, You Don’t Have to Go to College

Is this scary or what? I love the idea since I am that type of learner. I have learned far more on my own directive than any other situation I have been placed in. Web 2.0 has offered me a connected on-going professional development I could not afford to get elsewhere. I choose to take advantage of the offerings for the benefit of my own learning and that of my students. It makes a difference because I want it to. This is the learning Will is talking about. Learning beyond the books. Learning what I feel necessary for my career and self-growth.

What would happen if our classrooms were set up that way now? Okay... Then what would happen if our classrooms were set up that way without all of the standardized testing and documenting and so on that we deal with day to day?

Would it not work to offer our students at least a portion of their day as a self-exploration period? Are we too pessimistic in the thought that our kids would not care and would just slack off? They probably would. At least in the beginning. They have never had these opportunities, so someone would have to get them on the right track. They could still be held accountable for the learning through some type of cumulative, collaborative project presented to the student body and a panel of experts on the subject. Yes, I know it would be expensive and time-consuming. Yes, it would be worth it. No, the state would not fund that type of program even though they demand that type of result through multiple choice questions.

Just some wonderings out loud. Feel free to comment. Or not.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 11/25/2006 6:53 AM, Blogger Katherine said…

    I agree with you Scott. I definately think a portion of the students' learning should be self directed and that the use of technology is a logical and effective way to do that. It can and needs to be addressed now. All of the concerns and problems are there, but they aren't anything we can't overcome. I'm sure people in the past have had to deal with similar changes in technology, such as book banning! We are up aginst peopl that feel a need to control every aspect of a student's learning now without the unknown of cyberspace! I personally give all my studnts choices as much as possible, but most of my colleagues are afraid to or just won't let go their belief that they need to control every minute of the day.

     
  • At 11/26/2006 7:01 PM, Blogger Scott S. Floyd said…

    Isn't that a strange thing? Every teacher I know complains about how they do not have enough time to do what needs to be done in the classroom. There is never enough prep time to do planning well. What if we let the students take some control of this aspect? I know it is out there thinking, but where I have given that control over to the kids I have found less work on my part because I become a mentor and facilitator.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home