Texas Bluebonnet Writing Project Blog

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Is anyone listening? Does anyone care?

old classroom
School 2.0 - Join the Conversation
Reading habits change in new on-line revolution - Houston Business Journal:
Younger Americans, who buy only about 4 percent of books sold, have crafted their own environment for print media -- non-traditional, of course. Kids, teenagers and young adults spend hours (and hours) on the Internet writing and reading (which should be of some comfort to English teachers). Bored with old-fashioned e-mail messages, kids prefer "synchronous chat." Through MUDs (multi-user domains), young folks have transformed the solitary activity of reading into a highly social medium....

Nevertheless, I am excited and exhilarated by today's electronic exchanges. The medium has changed, but the skill of reading is alive and well.

Writing is still essential, even if the style is mutating to "Internet casual." Format aside, communication remains essential to getting your message across, and words are still the core components of the message.

The next generations are as hungry for knowledge as any we've seen -- and, with the spread of electronic media -- will likely be as literate as any other. - Dr. M. Ray Perryman is president and chief executive officer of The Perryman Group and economist-in-residence at the Edwin L. Cox School of Business at Southern Methodist University

It is good to see that the higher ed folks are paying attention to the changing habits of today's student culture.  I wish I could say the same for the K-12 crowd.  Videos such as this are great ways to demonstrate a visual of the problems we face in the classroom today.  Instead of preparing our students for the world they will face (and one we have not even seen yet), we put them in the same setting as those that we, our parents, and their parents sat in.  Is this just our lazy way as teachers of saying we came, we taught, we tried?  Are we not concerned that we are sending students out unprepared?  Do we not understand that the world is changing so quickly that half of what a student learns their first year of college is outdated by their third year?  Are we unaware that there are more students in China taking the SAT test in English than in the Untied States?  Do we simply not care that the top 10% of the population in China equals the total population of the United States and the top 25% is more than the total population of North America?   We are not just competing with the neighboring school districts anymore.  We are (or at least should be) preparing our students to compete against the world. 

Will it take fear as David Warlick contemplates:

2 Cents Worth ยป Scare Em!
Is this a legitimate avenue for affecting change? Does fear motivate people to change? Might it motivate reluctant teachers to modernize their practices?
So is it the right thing to do?  Do you think it is even possible to scare teachers into this type of paradigm shift in a K-12 setting?  Do you see the need for this type of change in thought and instruction?


powered by performancing firefox

8 Comments:

  • At 11/24/2006 6:37 AM, Blogger Janelle said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 11/24/2006 6:39 AM, Blogger Janelle said…

    Of course, I think we need to change, and I wish I could change things as fast as I would like.

    When I watched the video, I found myself thinking that these are things I am interested in.... why then, can I not stick to my guns and make the necessary changes?

    I would love to continue to blame the administration and their lack of foresight into exactly what could be accomplished with investment in EFFECTIVE use of technology. Of course, this would be an investment in our students... one that would make them competitive and literate in the world they live in, but I can't continue to merely play the blame game.

    So what's our next step? How can we become advocates for this? In our mission as an organization, what role does this reform take?

    I think we all agree that changes need to be made. If we just look back on the NWP Annual Meeting, how many times did we rely on texting, cell phones, and the Internet? These are skills that made that trip better... I mean, we would have never found Lovesless Cafe without it, right?

    How then, can we make those changes? How can we transform that fear that we may not be doing enough for our students into meaningful change that will impact their future? For some, this may be the turning point of continuing their education.

    How can I bridge the disconnect between what I know is best for my students and what actually is? I suppose that would be the Ideal Curriculum vs. the Enacted Curriculum?

     
  • At 11/24/2006 1:13 PM, Blogger Jeannine Hirtle said…

    Great post Scott! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely, I am right on the front lines with these thinkers! This is what I have been advocating and trying to do for years! I am so encouraged by places like Carrolton/Farmer's Branch that are right in here with this kind of thinking and doing something about it with their IPod/Podcast pedagogy initiative! Hey, go to http://www.aace.org and search my name in the digital library--all the articles that will come up by me, I have dealt in some way with this subject. It absolutely thrills me that there are K-12 people out there advocating for change.

    Janelle, about the sticking to your guns stuff--you are up agains an unwieldly and in many cases unyielding school culture--not just DISD, but schools in generall. Remember what Richard Sterling said at the keynote at NWP about students in high schools being bored! And remember what the keynote speaker said at the Podcast conference about students having to "power down" when they go into schools. Well, that "power down" phrase can be taken literally and metaphoriacally. Students have to power down their brains to deal with the mind numbing pedagogy they are faced with, and have to power down technologically! I am encouraged in working with Pete, you, Scott and others, as well as seeing CFBISD in action, that we can power up. I know Pete, you, Scott and I will do our part as we interface with university students and colleagues to live this message and I know you can sustain that at DISD! It helps to gain support at confernces and through networking with like minds that can affirm and likewise give us direction on our journeys!

    If anyone wants to get an article from the http://www.aace.org digital library let me know and I can e-mail anything you might want from there to you.

     
  • At 11/24/2006 1:15 PM, Blogger Jeannine Hirtle said…

    Also, Janelle, over Christmas I am going to take the ideas we've discussed to podicize the spring courses! And its my goal to get podcasts made over the units we are studying. Not mindnumbing ones hopefully--but intros to the units that will engage the students! Next fall, I'd like to start offering options for students to podcast back. I'll have to get with Pete to see if we have server space for that or how we might do it!!!!!!!!!

     
  • At 11/25/2006 6:37 AM, Blogger Katherine said…

    Jeaninne,
    What a great way to start applying podcasts to you courses. If you start with what you already have it shouldn't be so overwhelming. I am digesting all of this information and wondering where I fit in as a primary level teacher. I think we need to prepare our students in both directions. From the top (higher level ed) down and the bottm (kindergarten) up.
    Your comment to Janelle about going up against the school culture of our county is the point. It is discouraging and even frightening to stand up to the status quo. While I'm comfortable doing it on a personal basis in at personal level the idea of going against the administration and later the state gives me anxiety attacks! I wish I didn't have to depend my position as a teacher for income. I know that when the time comes I will be able to stand. Perhaps as we network we can develop a strong support system. At least we're ready to jump on board when the train to the future comes by.

     
  • At 11/26/2006 7:06 PM, Blogger Scott S. Floyd said…

    Janelle,

    It is all about the standardized tests. If you had the chance to make radical changes and take chances in your curriculum and instruction without the shadow of the tests hanging over you, would you take those chances?

     
  • At 11/26/2006 7:21 PM, Blogger Scott S. Floyd said…

    Katherine,

    As a primary teacher, you can start with the Technology Application TEKS.

    Basically, it says that primary age students should be able to use the correct terminology; start and stop programs; use the keyboard, mouse and other peripherals correctly; do keyword searches; acquire information; solve problems; communicate; and produce products in different media. Each of these, in their extended TEKS format, require technology usage according to the Tech Apps TEKS.

    The problem is there is no test for these, so the ISD's fail to pay much attention to them. That is a goal of mine to change in my ISD. If it becomes each of our goals, then maybe we can force the spread of technology literacy.

     
  • At 11/26/2006 7:23 PM, Blogger Scott S. Floyd said…

    Jeannine,

    Please send me the info to access your articles. I would love to read what you have written on the topic. It would be very timely to have right now. Thanks in advance.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home