Texas Bluebonnet Writing Project Blog

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

New Blogger (Out of Beta)

Hi Scott et al:

Blogger has a new version up, and I tried to switch out Bluebonnet Blogs over to it, but we can't switch yet. Apparently because we have a large blog, we'll have to wait a bit. Meanwhile, if I'm reading this right, it looks like we will all have to have google mail accounts to participate in the new blogs. Is that how you're reading this Scott? I have one thanks to Janelle's invitation a couple of years ago; Janelle has one, and I think it would be wise if we all got them to be ready to make the switch when Blogger lets us!

Google Help > Blogger Help > Getting Started > Accessing the new version of Blogger
Why can't I switch to the new version of Blogger?
While the new version of Blogger is no longer in beta, some users with certain types of blogs will not immediately be able to switch to it. We'll be adding support for these blogs as soon as possible, so everyone can join in the fun. But for now, if you have a very large blog (more than a couple thousand posts + comments), you'll need to hold off for a bit.

Note that, even if your blog is eligible to switch, you may not have the link to do so on your dashboard. We are starting out by just switching over a limited number of accounts, but we'll add more and more as time goes on. However, if you still want to try out the new version of Blogger, what you can do is to visit beta.blogger.com and create a new account. Later on, you'll be able to merge this account with your original Blogger account.

Thanks for your patience, and we promise it will be worth the wait!

6 Comments:

  • At 1/03/2007 11:44 AM, Blogger Scott S. Floyd said…

    We should not have to have Gmail accounts. I think what you are reading is that Google (owner of Blogger) is creating new accounts under their name instead. Email address should make no difference. I have been monitoring the beta switch and knew we needed to hold off for a bit. For one thing, I wanted to see what problems others were having since we host our own blog on our own server space. One blogger lost all of her comments when the first accounts were switched. I just don't want us to have those problems.

     
  • At 1/03/2007 12:07 PM, Blogger Scott S. Floyd said…

    Just for clarification, a Google Accout is not the same as a Gmail account. I have a Google account with a Yahoo mail address. I will keep an eye on this as it moves through the process.

     
  • At 1/03/2007 6:21 PM, Blogger Katherine said…

    Thanks Scott, I hope we can just switch and not have to have "another" bolg to try to keep up with. kat

     
  • At 1/03/2007 6:24 PM, Blogger Katherine said…

    I mean blog! I'm kind of tired. Too much going on this winter! kat Happy New Year to all.

     
  • At 1/05/2007 6:46 AM, Blogger Scott S. Floyd said…

    I have found on the Blogger site where they say you do NOT have to have a Gmail account to have a Google account or a Blogger account. So do not worry about setting one up if you have not. Our current Blogger profiles will work just fine. They still are not ready for us to upgrade to the new Blogger as of yet. Still watching it though.

     
  • At 2/18/2007 6:59 AM, Blogger Morris Rosenthal said…

    In the end, the choice dissapeared (or I slipped) and I got locked into the new blogger. The next week, my Self Publishing blog fell out of the Google index, enitirely. That page had been online since 2001! I've rushed around eliminating labels and undoing everything else I can think of that causes the "new" blog to differ from the "old" blog, but I it's giving me an ulcer:-) Posted Internet Publishing Fatigue about it last night.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home